Pages

Friday, March 23, 2012

Classic FRONT SIDE AIR

                                                                    Classic Front side Air
                                                                     By: Jeff (JT) Tatum
                                                JT FSA, Jan 1978, Vista bowl, Vista CA USA.


JT while on the SIMS team 1979 Del Mar, Kona Bowl

It would be hard to say what my favorite Sk8 move would be. If it happens on a sk8 I like it. I’m an old school Sk8er I’m not really into fancy tricks and variations I’m more into good old traditional Sk8 moves like: Lines, Carves, Grinds and Slides. But when it comes to an infamous Sk8 move that has universally defined core Sk8ing since Sk8 tricks began is the FRONT SIDE AIR. Front Side Air is the icon for RAD Sk8ing. The FSA is the easiest and most realistic Sk8 air that most levels of Sk8er can learn. Unlike other types of Sk8 Air you can see everything, You have a solid grip, your foot placement and stance are well set and centered witch all makes for easier and less risky landings. If you are at all familiar with FSA you also know the FSA Hang up is deadly. Most my injuries are from FSA Hang ups. There’s nothing like the peak of a Front Side Air when time stops and you’re looking down, Floating, Totally defying gravity. Your hart and breathing stop for just that moment, your mind totally clears of everything but that moment. Everything is in slow motion, Sound and surroundings don’t exist and then just like anything truly good in life it’s quickly over and you’re riding away. Then the rush hits and you can’t wait to do it again. I was grabbing rail front side and jumping gaps and holes in drainage ditches on clay wheels 40 some years ago so when I got into bowls on urethane wheels  in the mid 70s serious aerials on vertical walls were a natural progression I guess.
*JT Clairmont pool, Nov 2011, PiC: Dan Sparagna*
MY WAY: I do traditional old school early grab early release Front Side Air’s. I like to grab just before bouncing off the coaping and leaving the bowl with a good tight grab. Then let go just before or right at the peak for a handless air turn and drop.

THE DROP: My favorite thing to do is to go as strait up as possible then do a quick swinging turn in the air and then come straight in. The opposite of long arching air’s. The feeling when you drop and stomp an air clean and easy is KILLER SIC.

THE ONLY THING in my mind during an Air is: How high can I smack this one?, I sure hope this go’s well?. Everything else is totally focused and tuned into making it. The rush from SK8 Air is the best I’ve ever experienced ,Clean, Real, True, Proud, Rad and cleverly insane. :: March 2012 JT
                                   JT March 2010, Etnies, CA USA. 5 sequence* PicsBy: Michael Ray
                                                                       Bing Bang Boom

  

No comments: